Experimental validation services
Demcon multiphysics, being a part of the Demcon group and together with additional partners in the region, has access to extensive facilities for testing. These tests are often used to verify the outcome of simulations or to determine missing (material) properties. We also develop custom test equipment for external research partners. Over the years, Demcon multiphysics has gained a wealth of knowledge and experience in setting up and executing test programs for example:
- Pressure drop of porous mediums, we have hands-on experience with the theoretical and experimental side of modelling porous media in combination with piping systems.
- Wind tunnel testing, we cooperate with wind tunnel facilities in the Netherlands for the verification of aerodynamic properties of an object.
- Climate chambers, we have access to a number of climate chambers and rooms. These rooms and chambers are mainly used to perform temperature (cycle) tests on thermal sensitive products and equipment.
- Thermal shock chamber, we also have access to a temperature shock chamber. Using this chamber, it can be investigated whether a product can withstand a prescribed thermal shock.
- Acoustics measurements with 64-channel digital microphone system from SORAMA. This system is specifically designed to trace back noise to very specific components and reveals real-time color-coded noise sources. It allows us to target mitigations efforts more precisely.
- Custom heat transfer and flow-testing facilities. We design and develop custom test setup for specific model validation. Over the years, we have delivered multiple test rigs and test results for verification of model physics or design choices.
We deploy our analytic and physical simulations skills to support certification processes to ensure safe operation and compliance to applicable legislation and industry standards. Our profound experience in structural and flow analysis helps us to understand applicable codes and standards quickly and makes communication with experts on the side of a notified body (NoBo) like DEKRA, TUV, LLOYD’S, BUREAU VERITAS and DNV easy.
- Structural mechanics: Many examples of our structural work are in the line of Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures and/or EN codes that relate to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC and the Pressure Equipment Directive (PED 2014/68/EU).
- Flow: Computer aided flow simulations (CFD) can be used to make an accurate assessment of the hazardous area classification in for example explosive gas atmospheres (IEC 60079-10-1) as needed by the ATEX (153) directive. Dispersion of flammable substances in the atmosphere under influence of e.g. wind can be modeled. We have also supported clients to determine the amount of ventilation required and optimize designs to avoid dead areas to make zone mitigation. We are also active in the building physics market segment. In this market CFD is for example applied to make simulations of car parks to verify effectiveness of smoke control systems (NEN 6098:2010). Moreover, CFD is used to assess potential wind hinder from tall buildings in urban areas (NEN 8100:2006).